Nancy Harris, the convenience store clerk who was set on fire during a robbery last Sunday in Garland, has died from her injuries, according to a report by WFAA Channel 8 in Dallas.

Harris had been in critical condition at Parkland Hospital in Dallas since Sunday, when Matthew Lee Johnson, 36, doused her with lighter fluid and set her on fire after he robbed her at a Garland convenience store.

Johnson was charged with attempted capital murder and attempted robbery. WFAA reports that investigators are pursuing a capital murder charge with the Dallas County District Attorney’s office.


Here is our original story after Ms. Harris was admitted to the hospital:

My wife of three years is a Garland native. She graduated from South Garland High School. Her parents, my in-laws, live a short walk down the road from the school. The FINA convenience store on the corner of Broadway and Colonel Drive is one I’ve visited before. This week, something horrific happened at this gas station, and now a woman is fighting for her life.


Nancy Harris, 76, was working at the FINA Whip-In on Sunday when police said Matthew Lee Johnson, 36, walked in and robbed Harris before covering her in lighter fluid and setting her on fire.

“It didn’t look like there was any resistance from her any time,” Garland police spokesman Officer Joe Harn told WFAA Channel 8 in Dallas. “There’s no reason why you would set a 76-year-old woman on fire.”

Harris, called by her friends as a “huge” Dallas Cowboys fan (as you can see above), suffered serious burns to 40 percent of her body, including her face. She is still in critical condition at Parkland Hospital in Dallas.

Luckily, Johnson was caught a short time later. He is being held on $500,000 bond for attempted capital murder and robbery. If Harris dies, he will be charged with capital murder.

Johnson’s mother spoke to WFAA and said her son has a history of drug problems, likely the reason why he robbed Harris. Police said he attempted to break into several homes after setting Harris on fire.

“Never seen her mad; never seen her raise her voice,” Jimmy Bertucci, Harris’s neighbor, told WFAA. “It’s devastating. There’s no amount of money he could have gotten that would replace what he did.”

Thoughts and prayers with Ms. Harris and her family from all of us at KNUE.