Stroke Awareness Day 3: You Are What You Eat
Here we go into day 3. We have to watch what me consume to help prevent Stroke. It is strongly recommended that you have a low salt diet intake. Your salt intake should me less than 5 grams a day to help lower the risk of having a stroke. Here are some important facts about salt that you may not be aware of.
- Salt raises your blood pressure
- Your risk for stroke is higher if your blood pressure is high
- It is recommended that adults take in less than 5 grams of salt a day
- Children should not eat too much salt, because the onset of high blood pressure starts in childhood.
- Most of the salt that we consume each day comes from bread, sauces, cheese and processed meat and then we add more salt when we season our food.
- Put some effort into reducing your salt intake, it may be hard in the beginning, but you will be satisfied with the change in your blood pressure.
Day 3: Saturday, October 26, 2013
Challenge: Change your diet
- Maintain a healthy diet high in fruits and vegetables
- Push back off the salt to keep the blood pressure low
Keep me posted on your progress by emailing me with updates at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You learn more about my story at: http://honor.americanheart.org/goto/scottygyrl