13 GIFs That Perfectly Describe Driving in Tyler
I've often told people I'd rather drive in a major city than Tyler.
Tyler likes to pretend it's a small town. But if that's the case it's a small town with absolutely horrendous traffic.
Yes, every big (or somewhat big) city has traffic problems. It's nothing new. But since we live in Tyler, there's no sense in griping about the traffic and other drivers in other cities if we don't live there, right?
And Tyler seems to have a special breed of drivers.
I've driven in Tyler for most of my life. I observe the same old and new nuisances on a near-daily basis. Every time I drive on the south side of town during rush hour, I remind myself I'd rather be punching myself in the face with the end of a sledgehammer than experience South Broadway Ave.
And what better way to describe driving life in Tyler than with animated GIFs? I came up with 13 different situations of driving in Tyler, and the perfect reaction GIF to each one.
Why 13? It's an unlucky number. And only the unluckiest have to experience Tyler traffic on a daily basis.
1. Every time I get in my car when I leave work at 5 p.m., ready to head home.
2. When people at the front of the line at a red light aren't paying attention or are on their phones when the light turns green.
3. When drivers on Broadway think the speed limit is 35 mph, when it's been 45 mph for decades. DECADES.
4. When people driving on Old Bullard Road think the speed limit is 30 mph (or in many cases, even slower than that), when it's been 40 mph for decades. DECADES.
See what I did there? Drive the speed limit.
5. Waiting for the light at Broadway and Grande going south.
6. People who turn right at a red light and cut you off while you make a U-Turn at a left turn at a green light.
The car making the u-turn has the right-of-way people!
7. The 37 cars that keep turning left after the light's been red for at least five seconds.
Seriously. Have you EVER seen a city with more red-light runners than Tyler? My favorites are the people who drive 10 mph under the speed limit and then run the next red light.
8. When I actually hit every green light on Broadway or the Loop.
It's really a myth. Never happens.
9. People who think the left-turn lane is actually a merge lane.
Definitely illegal, people. Don't do it.
10. When I make it home after work without anyone destroying my car, or I haven't gotten out and taken a 9-iron to some jack-wagon's windshield.
11. Every time a person in the left lane who somehow forgets where to go, so they cross three lanes of traffic and immediately make the turn into where they want to be, cutting off every car on the way.
12. When I realize a trip to South Tyler on a Saturday is unavoidable.
13. When people suddenly stop in a merge lane with a line of cars behind them speeding up to ... you know ... MERGE.
What annoys you the most about driving in Tyler? Let me know with a GIF of your own. Road ragers, unite.